SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Join us now
Protestant7777

Debate - Protestant vs Catholic

GodsGrace
On 3/20/2019 at 7:50 PM, William said:

Of course it matters, especially in the Great Commission in way of Evangelism. While I appreciate what you're stating (Sola Scriptura) I think God'sGrace was attempting to encourage more dialogue and deepen our own individual personal understanding. 

Some people base their theological understanding from an isolated verse, some with surrounding context, and while others attempt to understand a verse in both immediate and broader context yet Systematic theology attempts to answer a question using the entirety of Scripture for a given subject.

IOW ask the question "what is baptism" and we're bound to get different answers based on the various principles and methods of interpretation held by various theological schools of thought.

From what you shared already Solas my view aligns with yours. However, I can understand "how" from Scripture some come to baptismal regeneration. While I think the doctrine has error for the exact same reason as you do (grace is not so annexed to water that it cannot occur without or is guaranteed with), I find baptismal regeneration as plausible as credo-baptism both of which I can come to based on different principles and methods of interpretation. Being a former credo-baptist I abandoned the doctrine for the Reformed view of covenant and household baptism which I think is more aligned to what the author of Scripture intended to convey. Point being is I could glean the truth from other perspectives, but it wasn't until I moved to see (perceive) from the Reformed perspective that the question, "what is baptism" was clarified to the point that other perspectives in contrast were blurry once revisited.

Reminds me of the first time I found out I needed glasses. By coincidinky I tried on my daughter's glasses and was AMAZED! I could see from far away. Now that I've been wearing glasses a year I can't go without them. I have a hard time believing I went so long without. Hermeneutical lenses are like that as they are meant to correct our sight but sometimes we'll never know how clear the objects of truth in other doctrines are unless we move to other theological camps to see from their perspective. 

God bless,

William

You've stated correctly what my intention was...

Also, I'm trying to find out what some think baptismal regeneration is.

Does this mean that one MUST be baptized in order for a transformation of the person to take place?

Edited by GodsGrace

Guest William
Just now, GodsGrace said:

You've stated correctly what my intention was...

Also, I'm trying to find out what some think baptismal regeneration is.

Does this mean that one MUST be baptized in order for a transformation of the person to take place?

Yes, I think of baptismal regeneration as a "partial birth" where regeneration continues until matured. Whereas Reformed believe nobody is partially birthed either one is born from above or not.

John 3:5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

Many interpreters understand "water" here as the water of baptism, but such a reference, before Christian baptism was instituted, would have been meaningless to Nicodemus. Others find a reference to John's baptism, but Jesus nowhere makes John's baptism a requirement for salvation. Probably the statement refers to OT passages in which the terms "water" and "Spirit" are linked to express the pouring out of God's Spirit in the end times, and the purification and new life that flow from His arrival - Isaiah 32:15; 44:3, Ezekiel 36:25-27.

GodsGrace
5 minutes ago, William said:

Yes, I think of baptismal regeneration as a "partial birth" where regeneration continues until matured. Whereas Reformed believe nobody is partially birthed either one is born from above or not.

John 3:5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

Many interpreters understand "water" here as the water of baptism, but such a reference, before Christian baptism was instituted, would have been meaningless to Nicodemus. Others find a reference to John's baptism, but Jesus nowhere makes John's baptism a requirement for salvation. Probably the statement refers to OT passages in which the terms "water" and "Spirit" are linked to express the pouring out of God's Spirit in the end times, and the purification and new life that flow from His arrival - Isaiah 32:15; 44:3, Ezekiel 36:25-27.

I'd say that most protestants agree that one must be born from above.

There are some churches that believe one must be baptized in order to be saved...but I don't personally know anyone that believes this.

John baptized for repentance and the forgiveness of sins.  Jesus baptism was for power, for everything, for instance to witness, to live the Christian life.  Baptism was known at the time of Jesus.

As to John 3:5 some believe it's the water of baptism, and some believe it's the water of natural birth...the second seems to make more sense to me,,,but I'm open to either idea.

I do believe we should do what Jesus said....Repent and be baptized...but, honestly, I won't ever understand why....I think it's a lot more complicated than we care to believe.

Guest William
1 minute ago, GodsGrace said:

As to John 3:5 some believe it's the water of baptism, and some believe it's the water of natural birth...the second seems to make more sense to me,,,but I'm open to either idea.

GodsGrace
2 minutes ago, William said:

Thanks.

Will check it out...