SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Join us now
Solas

For Conversion God Must at Least. ? !

GodsGrace
33 minutes ago, Solas said:

Seems like we are missing something here...

And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
(Mat 16:16-17)

It takes more than just 'hearing about' in order to repent and believe, it also takes that revealing by the Father.

Oh sure.  Spiritual things have to be understood spiritually.

The human without spirit understands nothing.....

People who refuse God do not understand the things of God....

1 Corinthians 2:14

14But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. 

Not all the Apostles understood everything about Jesus right away...

He had to come back from the dead for them to really accept all He said.

Maybe John understood Him better than anyone...Peter also understood at that moment.

37 minutes ago, Solas said:

Seems like we are missing something here...

And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
(Mat 16:16-17)

It takes more than just 'hearing about' in order to repent and believe, it also takes that revealing by the Father.

P.S.  What do you mean by that "revealing by the Father"?

Is it a special kind of revealing?

GodsGrace
34 minutes ago, Solas said:

I guess I see it as a step in degrees. We first disagree, then refute...anyone. Even JWs call their high and mighty 'scholars'.

If a JW can back up what he says with scripture....how do you refute it?

Their problem is that they cannot back anything up because they have their very own bible and their very own scholars.

We don't.

I don't understand how I could REFUTE something YOU tell ME....

I can disagree with it....

But how do I refute it if you can back it up with scripture?

All I could do is disagree with you....

GodsGrace

image.png

Edited by GodsGrace

Faber
1 hour ago, GodsGrace said:

No Faber....

If God wanted to be ONLY a just God,  then He'd save no one

OR

Give everyone a chance to be saved.

What you describe does not show any mercy at all, and God IS a God of Justice, Mercy and Love.

You only used the word "Just" the first time. Now you are adding mercy and love.

He would still be merciful because He did not kill us right on the spot when we first sinned. That doesn't mean He would be unmerciful for not eternally saving anyone.

I used the argument before and will use it again because it's the truth.

What do you mean it's been refuted?

Biblical scholars DO NOT agree with you....

Romans 9, 10, and 11 do not speak to individual salvation...

Joseph Benson was a Methodist.

GodsGrace
1 minute ago, Faber said:

You only used the word "Just" the first time. Now you are adding mercy and love.

He would still be merciful because He did not kill us right on the spot when we first sinned. That doesn't mean He would be unmerciful for not eternally saving anyone.

I have to go...

But:

God is love

God is mercy

God is just

Many verses for the above....

Why would God have made us if He's sovereign and knew we'd sin and that He'd have to kill us on the spot?

He WOULD BE unmerciful in creating creatures that will end up in hell.

Imagine that you can create turtles....you know they're going to make a mess...

and then when they DO make the mess,  you throw them in boiling water to kill them...

Are you love

Are you mercy

Are you just?

No!

Faber
1 minute ago, GodsGrace said:

Why would God have made us if He's sovereign and knew we'd sin and that He'd have to kill us on the spot?

Because He is also holy. 

Guest Becky

The doctrine of our staff is summarized in the following paragraphs:

The Bible, having been inspired by God, is entirely trustworthy and without error. Therefore, we are to believe and obey its teachings. The Bible is the only source of special revelation for the church today.

The one true God is personal, yet beyond our comprehension. He is an invisible spirit, completely self-sufficient and unbounded by space or time, perfectly holy and just, and loving and merciful. In the unity of the Godhead there are three “persons”: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

God created the heavens and the earth, and all they contain. He upholds and governs them in accordance with his eternal will. God is sovereign (in complete control) yet this does not diminish human responsibility.

Because of the sin of the first man, Adam, all mankind is corrupt by nature, dead in sin, and subject to the wrath of God. But God determined, by a covenant of grace, that sinners may receive forgiveness and eternal life through faith in Jesus Christ. Faith in Christ has always been the only way of salvation, in both Old Testament and New Testament times.

The Son of God took upon himself a human nature in the womb of the virgin Mary, so that in her son Jesus the divine and human natures were united in one person. Jesus Christ lived a sinless life and died on a cross, bearing the sins of, and receiving God’s wrath for, all those who trust in him for salvation (his chosen ones). He rose from the dead and ascended into heaven, where he sits as Lord and rules over his kingdom (the church). He will return to judge the living and the dead, bringing his people (with glorious, resurrected bodies) into eternal life, and consigning the wicked to eternal punishment.

Those whom God has predestined unto life are effectually drawn to Christ by the inner working of the Spirit as they hear the gospel. When they believe in Christ, God declares them righteous (justifies them), pardoning their sins and accepting them as righteous, not because of any righteousness of their own, but by imputing Christ’s merits to them. They are adopted as the children of God and indwelt by the Holy Spirit, who sanctifies them, enabling them increasingly to stop sinning and act righteously. They repent of their sins (both at their conversion and thereafter), produce good works as the fruit of their faith, and persevere to the end in communion with Christ, with assurance of their salvation.

Believers strive to keep God’s moral law, which is summarized in the Ten Commandments, not to earn salvation, but because they love their Savior and want to obey him. God is the Lord of the conscience, so that men are not required to believe or do anything contrary to, or in addition to, the Word of God in matters of faith or worship.

Christ has established his church, and particular churches, to gather and perfect his people, by means of the ministry of the Word, the sacraments of baptism (which is to be administered to the children of believers, as well as believers) and the Lord’s Supper (in which the body and blood of Christ are spiritually present to the faith of believers), and the disciplining of members found delinquent in doctrine or life. Christians assemble on the Lord’s Day to worship God by praying, hearing the Word of God read and preached, singing psalms and hymns, and receiving the sacraments.

Solas
25 minutes ago, GodsGrace said:

P.S.  What do you mean by that "revealing by the Father"?

Is it a special kind of revealing?

It's what Mt. 16:17 says, "for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven."

We can't truly know Him, by our own cunning, wisdom, pedigree or scholarship, it takes a permissive act of the Father.

• Like 1

Guest Becky

How does my doing ANYTHING remove any sovereignty from God?

God IS SOVEREIGN.  How does a human take that away?

You seem, to me, to be speaking about a very weak God that has to somehow hold on tight to His sovereignty.  The God I believe in does not have this fear.

He has NO FEAR at all.

You say salvation is never by chance and yet you believe that YOU are saved by chance.  God had to choose someone, and He just happened to choose you.

Based on nothing at all.

BTW,  how do you even know you're saved for sure if you had no choice at all or no say at all?  How could a person know that they are one of the lucky few?

I know I'm saved because God called me, like He calls everyone, and I responded with a definite YES.  And I know that for as long as I dwell with Jesus, I am safe and secure in His arms.

You are welcome to your view of equality with God.

You asked 

BTW,  how do you even know you're saved for sure if you had no choice at all or no say at all?  How could a person know that they are one of the lucky few?

Salvation is not by luck  again you have more trust in man choices then in His Word.

Rom 12:3  For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith. 

You say salvation is never by chance and yet you believe that YOU are saved by chance.  God had to choose someone, and He just happened to choose you.

Based on nothing at all.

Nothing at all? is that really your view of Scripture?  He is the potter we the clay 

I know I'm saved because God called me, like He calls everyone, and I responded with a definite YES.  And I know that for as long as I dwell with Jesus, I am safe and secure in His arms.

Reads to me like you are trusting in your 'YES' and you willingness to to dwell there . Do you believe He calls everyone?  

How does my doing ANYTHING remove any sovereignty from God?

God IS SOVEREIGN.  How does a human take that away?

Mankind's actions or in actions do not effect the Sovereignty of God . Teaching one is equal to God seems to me to be against Scripture .. That is as old as the garden 

Isa 14:14  I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. 

Ben Asher
17 hours ago, Solas said:

rather is God's sovereignty such, that in the end He is choosing for us OR, after all is said and done on His part, we still have  a choice to make?

Well, this where I believe that some of the terms on the list in my previous post would come into play.

Hard determinism/Superdeterminism/fatalism

Held by those who believe that God in his sovereignty long beforehand programmed (or fated) every detail, every event, and every decision anyone would ever make. In such a system there is no free agency/no free will. People don't choose God, God fated them to choose him. People don't choose evil rather God programmed them to choose evil. This would also mean 'in theory' that God fated/programmed/scripted/or caused people like Hitler and Bin Laden do everything they did.

libertarianism

Held by those who believe that God in his sovereignty grants us the liberty to make our own choices. God doesn't make choices for us although he knows what choices we will make with our free will. This would also mean 'in theory' that God knew what people like Hitler and Bin Laden would do with the free will he granted them way behind but he did not make up their minds for them.

Compatibilism

"is the belief that free will and determinism are mutually compatible and that it is possible to believe in both without being logically inconsistent. Compatibilists believe freedom can be present or absent in situations for reasons that have nothing to do with metaphysics. They define free will as freedom to act according to one's motives without arbitrary hindrance from other individuals or institutions" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibilism

Edited by Ben Asher

Solas
1 hour ago, Ben Asher said:

Well, this where I believe that some of the terms on the list in my previous post would come into play.

Hard determinism/Superdeterminism/fatalism

Held by those who believe that God in his sovereignty long beforehand programmed (or fated) every detail, every event, and every decision anyone would ever make. In such a system there is no free agency/no free will. People don't choose God, God fated them to choose him. People don't choose evil rather God programmed them to choose evil. This would also mean 'in theory' that God fated/programmed/scripted/or caused people like Hitler and Bin Laden do everything they did.

libertarianism

Held by those who believe that God in his sovereignty grants us the liberty to make our own choices. God doesn't make choices for us although he knows what choices we will make with our free will. This would also mean 'in theory' that God knew what people like Hitler and Bin Laden would do with the free will he granted them way behind but he did not make up their minds for them.

Compatibilism

"is the belief that free will and determinism are mutually compatible and that it is possible to believe in both without being logically inconsistent. Compatibilists believe freedom can be present or absent in situations for reasons that have nothing to do with metaphysics. They define free will as freedom to act according to one's motives without arbitrary hindrance from other individuals or institutions" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibilism

Yes, I saw that list.

In answering the question posed in the OP, where would you land?

Edited by Solas

atpollard
4 hours ago, Solas said:

So we end here, that my question has a fundamental flaw and I am looking at things backwards? 
Please explain.

EVERYONE (100% of Humanity) EXERCISES THEIR FREEDOM TO FOLLOW THEIR INNATE NATURE AND CHOOSES TO REJECT THE TRUE GOD FOR A FALSE ‘god’ THEY LIKE BETTER.

• God creates Adam and Eve sinless and gives them everything they need, including a rule and the ability to choose to obey or disobey that rule.
  • Adam and Eve, just like every person that has ever lived [except Jesus], chose to rebel against God.
  • God created the LAW to provide man with a ‘second chance’ opportunity to live according to God’s rules.  Every human being who ever lived has failed to obey even the basic 10 commandments.
  • The LAW was never actually created to save anyone.  Anyone COULD have obeyed the LAW, there was nothing too difficult in the LAW.  Mankind, with 100% certainty, chose to follow our innate nature and break the LAW.
  • Jesus later explained that the LAW was only a small part of what God required for Holiness.  Remember the talk about being angry making us guilty of murder.  Paul went on to explain that the LAW was a teacher sent to reveal our sin to us, so we would know that we need a SAVIOR.
  • How many places in scripture does it say that people should choose God, but that they will or do not.  The god of this world has blinded them to the gospel.  The gospel is foolishness to the carnal man.  Men avoid the light and choose the darkness because their deeds are evil.  All have sinned; none seek God.

Men have the freedom to follow our hearts, and without exception our hearts lead 100% of humanity away from God and towards HELL.

This is the starting point for God’s plan of salvation.  God calls all (like the wedding feast parable) and none choose to come.

Solas
6 minutes ago, atpollard said:

God calls all (like the wedding feast parable) and none choose to come.

but I thought...

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
(Rom 8:28-30)

Ok, so there is an alleged general call and an effectual call...proceed.

atpollard
44 minutes ago, Solas said:

Ok, so there is an alleged general call and an effectual call...proceed.

ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS YOU RAISE FROM THE CORRECTED PERSPECTIVE:

DOES GOD CHOOSE FOR US?  

No, we all have the freedom to choose to reject God and we all chose to reject God.

DOES OBEDIENCE CONSIST OF GOD CHOOSING FOR US?

No, there is no obedience because all men choose to disobey.

DOES GOD CONDEMN PEOPLE BECAUSE HE DIDN’T CHOOSE THEM?

No, God condemns all of us because we are all guilty of the sin of rebellion against our creator.

A Soverign, Holy (set apart, not like us), RIghteous and Just God must condemn the guilty and punish our evil actions and intentions.

44 minutes ago, Solas said:

but I thought...

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
(Rom 8:28-30)

You thought right ... GOD HAS A PLAN OF GRACE:

GOD IS LOVE.  GOD IS MERCIFUL.  GOD OFFERS GRACE.

Enter God with a solution.  God will choose to love some, for reasons having nothing to do with any innate merit in the people that God loves, but “just because” ... that’s who God is.

• Because of God’s love, those He loves will have their hearts transformed.
  • Because we have had our hearts transformed, we were drawn to Jesus (contrary to our fallen nature) and desired to repent.
  • Because we were drawn to Jesus, we were transformed and indwelt by the Holy Spirit.  This grants us the desire to please God and the ability to please God ... to walk in the good works that God has prepared in advance for us.
Edited by atpollard

Ben Asher
On 3/30/2019 at 1:34 AM, Solas said:

I know this board is heavily Reformed,

I think your assumption of this forum is true in a general way, however personally I do not self identify as Reformed.

We all agree for conversion, God must at least...

I am not sure we all agree with the four statements (at least not as currently phrased) following the clause quoted above.

one must still choose or turn away.

Did God's choosing of Israel mean that individual Jews could not choose to follow or to turn away from God (Deuteronomy 30:19, Joshua 24:14-17)?

Solas
1 hour ago, atpollard said:

ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS YOU RAISE FROM THE CORRECTED PERSPECTIVE:

DOES GOD CHOOSE FOR US?  

No, we all have the freedom to choose to reject God and we all chose to reject God.

DOES OBEDIENCE CONSIST OF GOD CHOOSING FOR US?

No, there is no obedience because all men choose to disobey.

DOES GOD CONDEMN PEOPLE BECAUSE HE DIDN’T CHOOSE THEM?

No, God condemns all of us because we are all guilty of the sin of rebellion against our creator.

A Soverign, Holy (set apart, not like us), RIghteous and Just God must condemn the guilty and punish our evil actions and intentions.

You thought right ... GOD HAS A PLAN OF GRACE:

GOD IS LOVE.  GOD IS MERCIFUL.  GOD OFFERS GRACE.

Enter God with a solution.  God will choose to love some, for reasons having nothing to do with any innate merit in the people that God loves, but “just because” ... that’s who God is.

• Because of God’s love, those He loves will have their hearts transformed.
  • Because we have had our hearts transformed, we were drawn to Jesus (contrary to our fallen nature) and desired to repent.
  • Because we were drawn to Jesus, we were transformed and indwelt by the Holy Spirit.  This grants us the desire to please God and the ability to please God ... to walk in the good works that God has prepared in advance for us.

I've heard and read all that before, thank you for your opinion.

Solas
3 minutes ago, Ben Asher said:

Did God's choosing of Israel mean that individual Jews could not choose to follow or to turn away from God (Deuteronomy 30:19, Joshua 24:14-17)?

Of course I believe this gets into a separate but interesting issue of "Were those believers before the Cross (in the OT) born again/had they received a new nature?"

If so, I'd say they could choose, and if not I'd say 'no'. But I'm trying to focus my attention on the unregenerate and their 'first choosing' which results in a death to sin and life towards God through Jesus Christ.

atpollard
11 hours ago, Solas said:

I've heard and read all that before, thank you for your opinion.

We didn’t really get to my opinion; just the answer to your questions.  My opinion is ...

THE CONCEPT OF A SINNER WHO WANTS TO BE SAVED BUT IS NOT ‘CHOSEN’ BY GOD AND THE CONCEPT OF A PERSON BEING SAVED ‘AGAINST THERE WILL’ ARE BOTH LOGICAL IMPOSSIBILITITIES THAT FAIL TO UNDERSTAND WHAT SALVATION IS AND WHERE THE DESIRE TO BE SAVED COMES FROM.

So as I see it, God does desire all men to obey and repent, but God also knows that none will and all men have earned their punishment using their freedom to follow their sinful nature.  God has foreknown (fore-loved) and predestined and called and justified and sanctified and glorified FOR HIMSELF a people of His own ... the Saints, the Church, the Bride of Christ, God’s Children ... the elect (chosen by God).

There are no people who “want to be saved” but were not chosen by God.  If God did not forelove them, then they want nothing to do with the true God ... they have some “god” image that they are more comfortable with that blesses their sin.

There are no people who are “saved against their will”.  Being loved by God is what empowers us with the “desire” to come into the light, to approach Jesus and to repent.  

Salvation is not people choosing to do the right thing.  Salvation is God-hating sinners being drawn by and falling in love with their creator.  

GodsGrace
20 hours ago, Faber said:

Because He is also holy. 

What does that have to do with anything?

God is Love

God is Mercy

God is Just

God is Holy

and many other attributes are His...we don't need to post each and every one

to be able to ask:

If God knew He'd have to "kill us on the spot" (your words) because we're sinners

but He's so merciful to save just a tiny few....

WHY did He even make us?

I always thought it was to share His love with us...

GodsGrace
20 hours ago, Solas said:

It's what Mt. 16:17 says, "for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven."

We can't truly know Him, by our own cunning, wisdom, pedigree or scholarship, it takes a permissive act of the Father.

I agree.

But didn't that permissive act happen all through time?

I've posted Romans 1:19-20 a couple of times....

Doesn't it state that man has always been aware of God's presence and this is exactly with man is responsible for his response to God?

Romans 1:19-20

19because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. 

20For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.

God Father revealed Himself to man in the O.T.

And God Son revealed Himself to man in the N.T.

Both said they would draw all men:

John 12:32

32“And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself.” 

Faber
27 minutes ago, GodsGrace said:

If God knew He'd have to "kill us on the spot" (your words) because we're sinners

but He's so merciful to save just a tiny few....

WHY did He even make us?

I always thought it was to share His love with us...

So His Name would be glorified.

Guest Becky
28 minutes ago, GodsGrace said:

I agree.

But didn't that permissive act happen all through time?

I've posted Romans 1:19-20 a couple of times....

Doesn't it state that man has always been aware of God's presence and this is exactly with man is responsible for his response to God?

Romans 1:19-20

19because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. 

20For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.

God Father revealed Himself to man in the O.T.

And God Son revealed Himself to man in the N.T.

Both said they would draw all men:

John 12:32

32“And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself.” 

Joh 10:26  But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. 
Joh 10:27  My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 
Joh 10:28  And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 
Joh 10:29  My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. 
Joh 10:30  I and my Father are one. 

GodsGrace
20 hours ago, Becky said:

You are welcome to your view of equality with God.

You asked 

That's not very fair Becky.  I did NOT say anything to suggest equality with God...if anything I said the exact opposite.

Salvation is not by luck  again you have more trust in man choices then in His Word.

Rom 12:3  For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith. 

Nothing at all? is that really your view of Scripture?  He is the potter we the clay 

Reads to me like you are trusting in your 'YES' and you willingness to to dwell there . Do you believe He calls everyone?  

Yes,  according to the theology of calvin....God saves the persons He wants to save, and them only, and based on nothing at all.  The choice is arbitrary, which is very wrong for a just being because it gives man no idea of what he is to do or believe in order to be saved.   The truth is that, according to Calvin, man can do nothing to save himself because it's all up to God.

If you check post no. 89  this is confirmed by @atpollard and I do believe he has been of the calvin theology a pretty long time now.

As to Romans 12:3, we are all given a measure of faith so as to be able to do our work in the Body of Christ....we are not all the same, but we are all  necessary.

And no one should consider themselves higher than anyone else...

Mankind's actions or in actions do not effect the Sovereignty of God . Teaching one is equal to God seems to me to be against Scripture .. That is as old as the garden 

Isa 14:14  I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. 

Agreed.

So far, since I've been here, I don't read that anyone here  thinks they're on the same level with God.   I have read that God is sovereign and it seems we all agree on this.

Faber
4 minutes ago, GodsGrace said:

The truth is that, according to Calvin, man can do nothing to save himself because it's all up to God.

Romans 9:16

So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy. (NASB)

GodsGrace
19 minutes ago, Faber said:

So His Name would be glorified.

And other reasons....

But I don't think man needs to go to hell so God could glorify His name....

Seems to me that more glory would be His if more men were saved...

I do think that God is a loving God and He needed to share His love.

I like Jeremiah for this...

Jeremiah 9:23-24 

Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.”