SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Join us now
E Morales

Can I play my drums in your Church?

E Morales

This can be a problem in some churches today. The youth bringing their drums to church, for part of the worshipping group. Would this be a problem for your church and why? 

Ben Asher

Most of the congregations I have attended have adhered to an acapella policy (no choir only the voices of the congregation). However out side of the worship service drums might be acceptable however I have never thought to ask.

E Morales
30 minutes ago, Ben Asher said:

Most of the congregations I have attended have adhered to an acapella policy (no choir only the voices of the congregation). However out side of the worship service drums might be acceptable however I have never thought to ask.

It’s new contemporary loud music, many still do only Hymnals, which I enjoy very much. But many churches are losing the youth, and are changing the ways the worship music is being done, in the local church. Many of the older folks say, that drums are evil? I don’t agree with that. How much is to much, or to loud for worshipping?

Guest William
4 hours ago, E Morales said:

This can be a problem in some churches today. The youth bringing their drums to church, for part of the worshipping group. Would this be a problem for your church and why? 

From OPC [Orthodox Presbyterian Church]:

Question:

Could you give me some ideas as to types of music that are appropriate in the OPC worship service? What is the function of the choir in the OPC? Are solos appropriate in the service? Are choral responses appropriate? I guess what I am requesting is a guideline for music in the OPC.

Answer:

There is a variety of opinion among OP churches on these questions. Some have choirs, others don’t. Some have special music in their worship services, some do not. Perhaps I could do no better than to quote a paragraph from the OPC Directory for the Public Worship of God.

As public worship is for the praise and glory of God and the building up of the saints, not for the entertainment of the congregation nor the praise of man, the character of the songs used therein is to befit the nature of God and the purpose of worship. (DPW II.B.2.b)

Choirs were used in the worship of God in the Old Testament and are therefore not forbidden, so choral responses reverently executed today are not forbidden. Similarly, special music is referred to and is therefore not forbidden.

Although a few Orthodox Presbyterian congregations sing only Psalms (and do so without instrumental accompaniment), in almost all OPC churches both hymns and psalms with instrumental accompaniment are encouraged.

All the musical selections that are found in both the original and revised Trinity Hymnal, as well as the Trinity Psalter Hymnal (to be released spring 2018), are acceptable as fulfilling requirements for both words and music for worship in song, not only for the congregation, but also for choirs or other forms of special music.

This does not mean that other hymnals may not be employed, though special scrutiny needs to be used both as to lyrics and tunes. So also shorter praise songs (including portions of Scripture set to music).

What it all boils down to is the exercise of judgment on what is and is not true to Scripture, as to words; and what is appropriate for the worship of God, as to music. The session should provide the guidelines of what music is appropriate for worship. If in doubt as to the suitability of certain musical renditions, the session may be asked to give its approval. This does not imply, however, that those responsible for other than congregational singing must require individual approval for everything sung or played that is not from one of the approved hymnals.

In the church where I worship, the session has approved a number of Scripture songs and other short songs of praise. Occasionally these are used in the public worship service or in non-worship meetings (prayer meetings, Bible studies, Sunday school, etc.).

Finally, I would suggest a few things to watch out for as, in my judgment, inappropriate. Some would disagree, but I mention them for what they’re worth.

Beware of making a “performance” out of special music. Excessively loud accompaniment detracts from the message of the text, which should predominate. I personally dislike professionally prepared prerecorded accompaniment tracks. There is something artificial about most of them—especially exotic orchestrations. A simple piano or organ accompaniment is far preferable.

I love to sing, and I’ve done a good bit of solo and duet singing in church, but as I’ve grown in grace through the years, I want the message (a biblical message) to stand out. Scripture directs,

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. (Col. 3:16, emphasis added).

In the end, I prefer that the hearers be blessed rather than charmed! In a word, ask yourself whether the worshipers are more conscious of you (soloist or instrumentalist) than of Christ.

A further word about instrumental music in worship. Used as an offertory, a prelude, or a postlude, loud, bombastic instrumentation should have no place in the worship of God. But variations on well-known hymns are appropriate if they are not ostentatious. A guitar can be played as tastefully as a piano or organ.

As I said earlier, some would exclude all but congregational singing because they don’t want to draw attention to man, but to God, while others carefully select special music and use it for the same reason—to glorify God. I hope my comments are of some help to you.

Guest William
50 minutes ago, E Morales said:

It’s new contemporary loud music, many still do only Hymnals, which I enjoy very much. But many churches are losing the youth, and are changing the ways the worship music is being done, in the local church. Many of the older folks say, that drums are evil? I don’t agree with that. How much is to much, or to loud for worshipping?

Two principles of worship govern Presbyterian churches. In short the Normative Principle of Worship says anything that is not explicitly stated against may be included in worship [Christian Liberty]. Whereas, the Regulative Principle of Worship says God provides instruction for proper worship therefore worship may only entail what is stated in Scripture. 

Within the Presbyterian churches the NPW are generally contemporary and the RPW churches are generally very conservative [Hymns and Psalms]. 

In the RPW I would not expect to hear a drummer nor would I approve of one. Too distracting while taking away the focus of the hymnal message in worship to God. 

Guest Becky

Psa 150:1  Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power. 
Psa 150:2  Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness. 
Psa 150:3  Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp. 
Psa 150:4  Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. 
Psa 150:5  Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals. 
Psa 150:6  Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD. 

Guest Becky

IMO too many churches today do not understand the difference between worship and a pep rally.  I believe both have a place. 

E Morales
22 minutes ago, Becky said:

Psa 150:1  Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power. 
Psa 150:2  Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness. 
Psa 150:3  Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp. 
Psa 150:4  Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. 
Psa 150:5  Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals. 
Psa 150:6  Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD. 

I’m defending the Pentecostals right now, they do play with loud cymbals. There are loud music in the verses mentioned.

Guest William
16 minutes ago, E Morales said:

I’m defending the Pentecostals right now, they do play with loud cymbals. 

So you understand these verses to use both a Trumpet and Cymbal as a modern musical instrument?

E Morales

@William  Pretty much, but doesn’t means it’s mandatory to play any way, but in all ways to praise Him. Some may like a trumpet?

Edited by E Morales

Guest William
1 hour ago, Becky said:

IMO too many churches today do not understand the difference between worship and a pep rally.  I believe both have a place. 

I imagine some church worship services are more orderly than others. I can't imagine being in a sanctuary the size of a modern Protestant church while every instrument known to man is playing simultaneously. How can anyone hear over that "orchestra" from everything that has breath especially without a microphone? I imagine it might sound like Pentecost in Acts 2 when tongues of fire simultaneously overlapped and created a convoluted or drunken mess. I'd probably make the sound of clashing cymbal and walk out. 

Orderly, not saying either is right or wrong at this point but I do have my preferences. Personally, I'm too distracted by someone waving around dancing in the aisle yelling Amen!!! every other word throughout the sermon. Perhaps I'm more a scrooge rather than a disciplinary. 

Enjoy!

Guest William
2 hours ago, E Morales said:

But many churches are losing the youth, and are changing the ways the worship music is being done, in the local church.

The irony is that a lot of churches separate the children and put them in play pens during the service and teach the children they are not yet part of the Covenant family. 

And then, as you suggest, they try to appeal with various forms of entertainment. 

E Morales
24 minutes ago, William said:

The irony is that a lot of churches separate the children and put them in play pens during the service and teach the children they are not yet part of the Covenant family. 

And then, as you suggest, they try to appeal with various forms of entertainment. 

This is true, they have child care, then children church, then youth groups services as they are going up. Then college and out of here.  😕 Who will lead the future church?

Guest Becky
3 hours ago, E Morales said:

But many churches are losing the youth, and are changing the ways the worship music is being done, in the local church.

Changing the ways of worship is not what saves What saves is His Grace. Man is doing a great disservice to God thinking music saves. .

Kids are not dumb living what is preached they will notice and WOW will they notice when adults screw up ... 

@William seperating the kids out is not a good idea.. not one bit.. To me Sunday School age appropriate classes are great..  The kids and parents together in the main service. . As long as the parents know what the kids are being taught

Guest William
Just now, E Morales said:

This is true, they have child care, then children church, then youth groups services as they are going up. Then college and out of here.  😕 Who will lead the future church?

Our church is "Covenant" and we are thriving with children from infancy to adulthood. 

E Morales

I think the Baptist need to make some adjustments, in this area of the children.

Guest William
1 minute ago, E Morales said:

I think the Baptist need to make some adjustments, in this area of the children.

Guest Becky

Carman Sings powerful music .. it is not worship music . It carries a full gospel message, great for kids and some really old rock-n-rollers. 🙂   A concert or kids camp  might be the place for that style 

Guest Becky

image.png.d317208fd090f002a997a6e3fe7ed371.png 

close of service at my brothers church.

Guest William
14 minutes ago, Becky said:

image.png.d317208fd090f002a997a6e3fe7ed371.png 

close of service at my brothers church.

URCNAMPA.ORG

A Reformed church near Boise in Nampa, Idaho

Slideshow on main web page

E Morales

Hey, what are all those kid’s doing there. They should be in child care or children church? Nice group photo 

Solas
15 hours ago, E Morales said:

For me, when the instruments drown out the words sung, then it is too loud. (Too many Churches today have 'entertainment-driven' worship-what draws the crowds?).

Even in Revelation John was able to hear the Chorus...

And the four living creatures, each of them with six wings, are full of eyes all around and within, and day and night they never cease to say, “Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come!” And whenever the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to him who is seated on the throne, who lives forever and ever, the twenty-four elders fall down before him who is seated on the throne and worship him who lives forever and ever. They cast their crowns before the throne, saying, “Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created.”
(Rev 4:8-11)

And they sang a new song, saying, “Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth.” Then I looked, and I heard around the throne and the living creatures and the elders the voice of many angels, numbering myriads of myriads and thousands of thousands, saying with a loud voice, “Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!” And I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them, saying, “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever!” And the four living creatures said, “Amen!” and the elders fell down and worshiped.
(Rev 5:9-14)

Solas

A few more...

Revelation 7:12 NKJV
[12] saying: "Amen! Blessing and glory and wisdom, Thanksgiving and honor and power and might, Be to our God forever and ever. Amen."

Revelation 11:17-18 NKJV
[17] saying: "We give You thanks, O Lord God Almighty, The One who is and who was and who is to come, Because You have taken Your great power and reigned. [18] The nations were angry, and Your wrath has come, And the time of the dead, that they should be judged, And that You should reward Your servants the prophets and the saints, And those who fear Your name, small and great, And should destroy those who destroy the earth."

Revelation 15:3-4 NKJV
[3] They sing the song of Moses, the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying: "Great and marvelous are Your works, Lord God Almighty! Just and true are Your ways, O King of the saints! [4] Who shall not fear You, O Lord, and glorify Your name? For You alone are holy. For all nations shall come and worship before You, For Your judgments have been manifested."

E Morales

200.gif

E Morales

20 hours ago, William said:
URCNAMPA.ORG

A Reformed church near Boise in Nampa, Idaho

Slideshow on main web page

@William  I did not see any minorities people in photos, blacks or hispanics. I am not picking on you, it just might be part of the Country where they are. Here in Florida, we have the same thing. How can we get more people, that speak the same language to unite in worship? We can start a Post with this subject. E Morales