SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Join us now
Faber

Does the proclamation of the gospel include that Jesus is God?

Faber

Yes, the gospel proclamation did include the fact that the Lord Jesus is God. There are several reasons why this is true: 

1. In the very first gospel proclamation of the NT Church, YHWH (cf. Joel 2:32; 3:5 in the Septuagint) is applied unto the Lord Jesus by Peter (and the author Luke) in Acts 2:21.[*1] Those who deny the Lord Jesus is God will sometimes stress that He is a man by citing Acts 2:22, but they fail to understand that He is both God (Acts 2:21) and man (Acts 2:22). 

2. In relation to Acts 2:21, Christians were known as those who called upon the name of the Lord (YHWH) in reference to the Lord Jesus (Acts 9:14, 21).[*2] This is what Ananias commanded Paul to do in Acts 22:16 (cf. v. 19). Furthermore, Stephen's gospel presentation did not conclude with him being driven out of the city, because just before his death he would proclaim that Jesus is God by praying to Him in Acts 7:59-60.[*3] Peter, in his gospel proclamation, would refer to the Lord Jesus as "Lord of all" which means that He is God (Acts 10:36).[*4] 

3. When one believes in the Lord Jesus (Acts 22:19) it encompasses calling on His name (Acts 9:14) - which means it is done with reference to Jesus as YHWH (Acts 2:21; Romans 10:13; etc.). Indeed, the faith (Jude 1:3) in which Paul attempted to destroy (Galatians 1:23) refers to those who called upon the Lord Jesus as YHWH (Acts 9:21).[*5] 

4. In their worship of Jesus, those who have believed the gospel proclamation are said to have turned to the Lord (Acts 9:35), which corresponds to turning to the Lord in reference to YHWH (Psalm 22:27). 

5. From salvation onwards one is to go on in the fear of the Lord in reference to Jesus (Acts 9:31), which corresponds with always living in the fear of the Lord in reference to YHWH (Proverbs 23:17). 

6. As with Peter in Acts 2:21, Paul's preaching (Romans 10:8) included the fact that Jesus is to be prayed to in that He is YHWH (Romans 10:13; cf. 2 Corinthians 4:5).[*6] Those who deny that the Lord Jesus is YHWH preach another Jesus (2 Corinthians 11:4).

Notice as well that this preaching is to be for all nations (Acts 2:5)[*7] which is the very same thing Paul affirmed (1 Timothy 3:16).[*8]

[*1] Citing Acts 2:21 Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament reads: I call upon (on my behalf) the name of the Lord, i.e. to invoke, adore, worship, the Lord, i.e. Christ (epikaleō, page 239).

https://biblehub.com/greek/1941.htm

Notice also that the name of the Lord that a person calls upon for salvation in Acts 2:21 corresponds to the name of Jesus Christ where a person can obtain the forgiveness of sins (i.e. salvation) in Acts 2:38.

[*2] Those who claim that Jesus is the Son of God but not God are in error because the Son of God that Paul preached about (Acts 9:20) is called upon in payer as being YHWH (Acts 9:21).

[*3] J. R. Lumby: It is to be observed that both prayers of Stephen are addressed to Jesus as God (The Acts of the Apostles, Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges).

https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/cgt/acts-7.html

[*4] David Guzik: This is a powerful phrase, showing the deity of Jesus. Peter could never say this if Jesus were not (and is not) God.  
https://enduringword.com/bible-commentary/acts-10/

[*5] Christians are those who have been sanctified by faith in Me (Christ) (Acts 26:18). This is joined with those who call upon the name of the Lord Jesus as YHWH (cf. 1 Corinthians 1:2).

https://www.christforums.com/forums/topic/8806-calling-on-the-name-of-the-lord-praying-to-jesus/

[*6] Notice also that in addition to Romans 10 Paul also mentions the gospel he preached in 1 Corinthians 15. The preaching of Paul (v. 1, 11) includes how he "persecuted the church of God" (1 Corinthians 15:9) which is the same thing when he elsewhere said that he "persecuted this Way" (Acts 22:4). Those of the Way (Christians) called upon the name of the Lord in reference to Jesus because they knew He was YHWH. See point #3.

https://www.christforums.com/forums/topic/11858-the-way-international-victor-paul-wierwille/

[*7] Daniel Whedon: ”I would like to ask those,” says Erasmus, “who deny there is any hyperbole in Scripture, if they think there were any English or Scotch at the Pentecost.” But Grotius ingeniously identifies all the races named as being branches from the “sixteen grandsons of Noah, from whom all nations were descended.” Luke clearly uses these phrases of wide universality with a feeling that all the world was here represented.

https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/whe/acts-2.html

[*8] Whether or not "God" is in the original text (I don't believe it was) this passage still teaches that Jesus is God in that a major theme of Paul's preaching included the fact that Jesus was (and is) to be called upon as Lord (YHWH).