SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Join us now
atpollard

The EARTH is the Temple of God (For God so loved the world)

atpollard

FIRST, It has gotten WAY too quiet here among the regular Theological discussions.  Just because William no longer pontificates from the Westminster Confession of Faith ex-cathedra, does not mean that all theological discussion must grind to a halt.  So everyone's favorite trouble maker (the Pentecostal Reformed Baptist) has come to exercise his spiritual gift of calling assumptions into question and stirring up trouble.

SECOND, I recently heard a sermon that raised some ideas that seemed bizarre at first glance, but actually seem to have some scriptural merit including Typologically from Genesis to Revelation.  So let's talk about the Earth as the Temple of God.

So what is a temple? 

Start with the examples that Man builds for false gods like Zeus or Athena.  It is a house where the IMAGE of the god dwells and where men may go to interact with the god.  Athena dwells on Mount Olympus, but her statue where she was worshiped and where her priests (priestesses) communicated with her was housed in the Parthenon.  Now let us look at the example that God himself gave us for His Tabernacle and the Temple of Solomon that replaced it.  It was a structure where the people could go to worship God and the Priests could interact with God himself.  The Tabernacle could never have contained ALL of God and God lives in Heaven, but his "image" ... the Glory of the Lord ... was found in the Holy of Holies in the Tabernacle/Temple.

Is the Earth a temple?

Does it contain the image of God?

• [Gen 1:26-27 NASB] 26 Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." 27 God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
  • WE are the IMAGE of God created to be placed on and cover the Earth in order that the Image of God would be everywhere on the Earth (His Temple)

Can God be found in His Temple Earth?

• [Gen 2:7-8 NASB] 7 Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being. 8 The LORD God planted a garden toward the east, in Eden; and there He placed the man whom He had formed.
  • With His hands, God molded the earth and with his lips God breathed life into man; that placed God on the Earth.
  • [Gen 3:8 NASB] 8 They heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day ...
  • God walked in his Temple Earth in the cool of the day.
  • [Exo 40:34-35 NASB] 34 Then the cloud covered the tent of meeting, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle. 35 Moses was not able to enter the tent of meeting because the cloud had settled on it, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle.
  • God's Glory filled his Tabernacle ...
  • [Num 14:21 NASB] 21 but indeed, as I live, all the earth will be filled with the glory of the LORD.
  • ... and swore to fill the Earth.
  • [Rev 21:3 NASB] 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them,
  • When the dust settles at the end of the book, God will make good on his promise in Numbers and restore his Temple to its "very good" state as in Genesis.

So I think that both the "image of God" (mankind) and God himself (but not his entirety) can be found in God's Temple, the Earth.

No wonder ... "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him." [John 3:16-17]

Maybe we can talk next about the cleansing of the Temple as a Typology. 🙂

Guest Becky

Eph 2:19  Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; 
Eph 2:20  And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; 
Eph 2:21  In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: 
Eph 2:22  In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit. 

Act 15:16  After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up: 
Act 15:17  That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things. 
Act 15:18  Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world. 

7 hours ago, atpollard said:

FIRST, It has gotten WAY too quiet here among the regular Theological discussions.  Just because William no longer pontificates from the Westminster Confession of Faith ex-cathedra, does not mean that all theological discussion must grind to a halt.  So everyone's favorite trouble maker (the Pentecostal Reformed Baptist) has come to exercise his spiritual gift of calling assumptions into question and stirring up trouble.

SECOND, I recently heard a sermon that raised some ideas that seemed bizarre at first glance, but actually seem to have some scriptural merit including Typologically from Genesis to Revelation.  So let's talk about the Earth as the Temple of God.

So what is a temple? 

Start with the examples that Man builds for false gods like Zeus or Athena.  It is a house where the IMAGE of the god dwells and where men may go to interact with the god.  Athena dwells on Mount Olympus, but her statue where she was worshiped and where her priests (priestesses) communicated with her was housed in the Parthenon.  Now let us look at the example that God himself gave us for His Tabernacle and the Temple of Solomon that replaced it.  It was a structure where the people could go to worship God and the Priests could interact with God himself.  The Tabernacle could never have contained ALL of God and God lives in Heaven, but his "image" ... the Glory of the Lord ... was found in the Holy of Holies in the Tabernacle/Temple.

Is the Earth a temple?

Does it contain the image of God?

• [Gen 1:26-27 NASB] 26 Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." 27 God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
  • WE are the IMAGE of God created to be placed on and cover the Earth in order that the Image of God would be everywhere on the Earth (His Temple)

Can God be found in His Temple Earth?

• [Gen 2:7-8 NASB] 7 Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being. 8 The LORD God planted a garden toward the east, in Eden; and there He placed the man whom He had formed.
  • With His hands, God molded the earth and with his lips God breathed life into man; that placed God on the Earth.
  • [Gen 3:8 NASB] 8 They heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day ...
  • God walked in his Temple Earth in the cool of the day.
  • [Exo 40:34-35 NASB] 34 Then the cloud covered the tent of meeting, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle. 35 Moses was not able to enter the tent of meeting because the cloud had settled on it, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle.
  • God's Glory filled his Tabernacle ...
  • [Num 14:21 NASB] 21 but indeed, as I live, all the earth will be filled with the glory of the LORD.
  • ... and swore to fill the Earth.
  • [Rev 21:3 NASB] 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them,
  • When the dust settles at the end of the book, God will make good on his promise in Numbers and restore his Temple to its "very good" state as in Genesis.

So I think that both the "image of God" (mankind) and God himself (but not his entirety) can be found in God's Temple, the Earth.

No wonder ... "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him." [John 3:16-17]

Maybe we can talk next about the cleansing of the Temple as a Typology. 🙂

I would reword it.   The whole of creations is God's cosmic temple.

Isa. 66:1

Thus says the Lord:
Heaven is my throne,
and the earth is my footstool;
what is the house that you would build for me,
and what is the place of my rest?

Also note the critical connections found in Eze. 28:13-16.

You were in Eden, the garden of God;

fevery precious stone was your covering,

gsardius, topaz, and diamond,

beryl, onyx, and jasper,

sapphire, emerald, and carbuncle;

and crafted in gold were your settings

and your engravings.

On the day that you were created

they were prepared.

You were an anointed guardian cherub.

I placed you; you were on the holy mountain of God;

in the midst of the stones of fire you walked.

You were blameless in your ways

from the day you were created,

till unrighteousness was found in you.

In the abundance of your trade

you were filled with violence in your midst, and you sinned;

so I cast you as a profane thing from the mountain of God,

and I destroyed you, guardian cherub,

from the midst of the stones of fire.

You might also find this video interesting.

atpollard
2 minutes ago, Origen said:

I would reword it.   The whole of creations is God's cosmic temple.

I don't think that God has a "cosmic temple".  While I would certainly agree that the stars declare His glory and there is nowhere to escape the presence of an omnipresent God, God placed His image ... the imago Dei ... on THIS tiny blue marble.  There is no "imago Dei" on the moon or Mars or Venus and no record that the Glory of God ever rested on any of those worlds.  Of the billions of stars and vast number of galaxies, God chose this lump of rock to be incarnated on and to die on to restore a lost imagio Dei to a corrupted temple of God.

atpollard
3 hours ago, Origen said:

You might also find this video interesting.

Really interesting video.  Two big thumbs up.