SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Join us now

Poll Question: Which Translation?

Poll Question: Which Translation?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Poll Question: Which Translation?

Just Mike
11 hours ago, Eddybacon said:

so versions of the bible with whole verses missing is not a problem i guess and how dare i to imply satan would ever publish corrupted versions of scripture #underthetreewitheve

With further study you will find verses that seem to be missing in reality are not, these verses are not in the oldest manuscripts. In most reliable translations there might be a footnote or brackets around the verse. Yes it is very unwise to attribute to Satan something Biblical scholars have found where verses were somehow added or misplaced by men.

I find that deeper study can usually find answers to questions like why certain verses are missing. Blaming Satan's so called influence on very dedicated Christian Biblical scholars who do translation work is a serious error, I sincerely encourage you to ask questions before allowing Satan to expose your ignorance. Be cautious Eddybacon Satan is a roaring beast seeking to destroy our testimony, the worldly people read our posts seeking to make any judgement to discredit the Word of God which so many wonderful dedicated Christian men and women have given their lives to translate the most accurate Bibles yet to date. I am glad you read the KJV, but it is not near as accurate as most of the modern Bibles like the NASB, ESV, HCSB. To bring any doubt as to the accuracy and trustworthiness of these translations is to be used of Satan himself. Be wise young man, Satan is seeking to devour  your testimony.  

• Like 2

Just Mike
12 hours ago, Faber said:

Thank you JM for taking the time to state what you did above. I can understand that people may have preferences for a particular version but to degrade others like that is really uncalled for.

My desire is to educate not tare down. My daughter recently asked me why certain verses are missing from her new NIV. I suggested the newest NIV is not a Bible I would recommend any longer due to gender-neutral issues. So my wife and I bought her a HCSB Life Application Bible. We felt we needed to correct the problem, then explaned why the verses were not in the original manuscripts.so we did.

• Like 2

Faber

Ephesians 3:6

NASB to be specific, that the Gentiles are fellow heirs and fellow members of the body, and fellow partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel.

KJV That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel.

Revelation 14:1

NASB Then I looked, and behold, the Lamb was standing on Mount Zion, and with Him one hundred and forty-four thousand, having His name and the name of His Father written on their foreheads.

KJV And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads.

The bold face above is mine. More passages can be cited, but the point is if what took place above was reversed it is probable that KJV Onlyists would use such evidence as proof that newer versions are deleting the words of the Bible and/or attempting to demean the Person of Christ.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Just Mike said:

I suggested the newest NIV is not a Bible I would recommend any longer due to gender-neutral issues.

Agreed!

10 hours ago, Just Mike said:

We felt we needed to correct the problem, then explaned why the verses were not in the original manuscripts.so we did.

There you go.  Clear, simple and well thought out.  Yours is an example everyone ought to follow.

Eddybacon
1 hour ago, Origen said:

Agreed

There you go.  Clear, simple and well thought out.  Yours is an example everyone ought to follow.

Gender neutral issues wow whats up with that? @Origen 

22 hours ago, Eddybacon said:

Gender neutral issues wow whats up with that? @Origen 

With what?  Please explain your question.

Just Mike
4 hours ago, Origen said:

With what?  Please explain your question.

I am guessing some don't know about the TNIV which was a disaster of a translation as well as in sales. Pat Zondervan would bow his head in shame is he saw how Zondervan has been taken over and changed so much. I worked for a sub part of Zondervan called the Book of Life, it was a 12 volume set of Bible stories and major events. It was a wonderful program to get families and Christian schools a resource for more Bible study. Sadly the Bool of Life program was sold off the The Standard Encyclopedia Company. That company did not invest one cent to keep the program going, and many good Christian men who dedicated their life, and had their income form that program. Many had invested in materials they had bought, and the S. E. did meet their obligation they had promised. I pretty much had some material but it was less than $500. I was bale to go through Seminary while selling Book of Life. Not once did I have anyone return the Book of life in all the time I worked for the Book of Life. Zondervan was a very good company to work for. Selling it to Ruford M. was the begining of him buying several Bible publishing houses. So sad!

• Like 1

Ben Asher
On 11/22/2018 at 8:59 AM, Eddybacon said:

Well there was that point in time when only versions allowed were in Latin and only the clergy got to read it to the people so the people only heard whatever the clergy taught...

The above is incorrect as neither the Latin rite (Tridentine Mass) nor the western Roman Catholic Church ever replaced or superseded the rest of Christendom. Case and point think of ecclesiastical communities like but not limited to the: The Syriac Orthodox Church of Antioch, The Chaldean Catholic Church, The Maronite Church, The Holy Apostolic Catholic Assyrian Church of the East, The Greek Orthodox Church, The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church, Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria. Those communities have been reading the Bible in and using ecclesiastic rites in languages like Coptic, Syriac/Aramaic, Koine Greek,  Ge'ez, and Amharic.

Outside of Christendom, Jewish communities of faith throughout the centuries have largely read the Bible/Tanach in Hebrew (or at least the Sefer Torah) and recited prayers from the Siddur(The prayer book) in Aramaic and Hebrew.

Grace and Peace

Edited by Ben Asher

Concord

ESV here.  Our church uses that version, and I like to be on the same page.  I have about a dozen translations in Logos I can consult at need.

• Toast 1

Joshua072474

I wonder if the difference in the specific semantics of each translation change the Spirit of the living Word? I don't think so.

Perhaps the ultimate goal is to represent the perfect Spirit of the Word with the same exact semantics. This when Earth is as it is in Heaven & there is only one language that is spoken. What do you think?

davidtaylorjr

Personally, I don't use the NIV much unless the church I am preaching at prefers it. I use ESV. However, I think a lot of the gender issue of the current NIV (2011) is largely overblown.  I don't agree with the choice and reasoning for it, but theologically it doesn't change anything from what I have seen. Granted, I have not done a full study on it.

The NIV does not change all gender to gender-neutral. Only in places where it clearly addresses more than just a singular gender.  For example, let's talk about the Declaration of Independence.

Does it change anything if we said "All men are created equal" vs. "All people are created equal"? No. From what I have seen it is the same type of changes in the NIV.

Like I said, I don't agree with it. However, remember the NIV is a dynamic equivalent. They do not claim to be a literal word for word rendering or even essentially literal (for my fellow ESV camp). They claim to be dynamic meaning they go for the meaning rather than the translation exactness.

NorrinRadd
On 11/21/2018 at 1:13 PM, Origen said:

Uh, no.  All translations are based upon the Hebrew text (for the O.T.) and Greek texts (for the N.T.).  The evidence comes from manuscripts, citations found in other writings, and early translations of the Hebrew and Geek texts.  If there was not at least some certainty as to the text, then this whole Jesus and God thing would be pointless.

I believe the Orthodox Study Bible is unusual if not unique in that its Old Testament is translated from the LXX, not the Hebrew.

On 7/20/2019 at 6:35 PM, NorrinRadd said:

I believe the Orthodox Study Bible is unusual if not unique in that its Old Testament is translated from the LXX, not the Hebrew.

Correct but the Orthodox Study Bible is a special case.  The Eastern Orthodox Church follows the Septuagint as it's Old Testament text.  However the Orthodox Study Bible is not an official translation of the Eastern Orthodox Church.

Of course there are other English translations of the LXX, such as Charles Thomson's translation (1808), Brenton's translation (1844), "A New English Translation of the Septuagint" (2007), and "The Lexham English Septuagint: A New Translation" (2019).

NorrinRadd

As far as the topic of the thread is concerned, it just makes me realize that what I'd really like is completely impossible.  I want to be able to easily compare several translations, AND have access to a few different sets of commentary notes, AND have this all in a single leather-bound volume with readable type.

I do have a Contemporary Comparative Side by Side Bible, with NIV (2011), NLT (2007), NKJV, and The Message.  I like it for use in church, so I can be sure that no matter what translation the preacher is using, I'll have a different one for comparison.  That gives me something to dig into later, especially if the preacher makes a big point of the wording.

At a small-group Bible study, I'd probably want to have my NET Bible and my NIV (2011) Cultural Background Bible.  I like both translations, and I love the note sets.

For personal study, I rely a lot on software -- a free program called "The Word."  I used to use e-Sword, and I still do find its interface a bit more "crisp," but The Word has more features that I like.  Many modules are free.  There are also many "premium" modules that are not free but are mostly reasonable.

In that program, I now use mainly the NET.  I like it, I love the notes, and I like the fact that it's one of the few translations keyed to "Strong's Numbers."  (I found that a few of those Strong's links are incorrect; they say they will be "pushing out" a corrected version soon.)  I also use NIV (2011), NASB95, ISV, ESV, CEB, and CSB fairly often, and others occasionally.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I'm a fan of Gordon Fee's "How to..." books.  How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth (Fee and Stuart) is great overall, and has a small section on translations.  How to Choose a Translation for All Its Worth (Fee and Strauss) is excellent, even if one does not agree with all the authors' conclusions and recommendations (as will be the case for KJVO people, "NIV is crap" people, and "Literaler is always betterer" people, among others).

Just Mike

The 2011 NIV is inclusive and therefore I would no longer suggest it.

NorrinRadd
14 hours ago, Just Mike said:

The 2011 NIV is inclusive and therefore I would no longer suggest it.

Yes, I believe you mentioned that earlier in the thread.

The NIV translators, of course, consider any such changes to be in the direction of "gender accuracy."

Personally, I think anyone who prefers the ESV should be just as concerned.  One of their reasons for creating it was to counter the TNIV.  That sort of thing is not a legitimate reason to create a new translation.

Just Mike
On 7/23/2019 at 2:28 AM, NorrinRadd said:

Yes, I believe you mentioned that earlier in the thread.

The NIV translators, of course, consider any such changes to be in the direction of "gender accuracy."

Personally, I think anyone who prefers the ESV should be just as concerned.  One of their reasons for creating it was to counter the TNIV.  That sort of thing is not a legitimate reason to create a new translation.

The ESV is a translation that was backed mainly by SB Reformers whao wanted a translation that reflected that view.

Trevor 8147

I use the NIV most of all

Wull
On 11/22/2018 at 4:38 AM, Just Mike said:

. I am glad you read the KJV, but it is not near as accurate as most of the modern Bibles like the NASB, ESV, HCSB. To bring any doubt as to the accuracy and trustworthiness of these translations is to be used of Satan himself. Be wise young man, Satan is seeking to devour  your testimony.  

Satan is the father of lies. To advocate for the truth, is most certainly not to be used of him.

There are solid reasons for being extremely cautious (to put it mildly) about these modern versions. 

They are based on a corrupted Greek text which has Vatican approval, and was compiled by heretics, some of whom denied the inspiration and authorship of parts of Scripture (while another was a Jesuit).

Wull
On 11/21/2018 at 2:19 PM, Just Mike said:

Before anyone makes such an outlandish derogatory and slanderous prefabrication that Satan was instrumental in the translation of Holy Scriptures, they best take into careful consideration that the Holy Spirit Himself was directing the translating teams as they prayed over each word before anything was even penciled down on paper. To even suggest Satan was involved even in the minutest way in the translating, is to allow Satan to use the tongue that speaks such lies.

Oh shame, shame for anyone spouting such horrid accusations the godly translators who toiled in so great and wonderful Holy task. 

Even if the translators were Godly - and the fact that someone is a Bible translator in NO way automatically makes one Godly - they were working from a Greek text compiled by heretics. The views of Kurt Aland, Bruce Metzger and Carlo Martini were far from orthodox Christianity.

It should be remembered that Catholicism has been increasingly involved in Bible translation and distribution in recent decades, and that "interconfessional" translation has been an aim of the UBS etc. for many years.