SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Join us now
Marie

Tattoos

Believer

I really have concerns if according to the Bible a,tattoo is wrong, ok no more, but really would like more input. Not trying to belabor the point. But I also don't want to attend a church where it is not the inherent word of God. I was surprised when I asked about it and he stated it was Lav. 14, since it is a controversial subject and your whole sermon is called Tattoo, but based on Acts and referencing wearing the cross in a literal sense why would you not know the correct chapter. It bothered me, but maybe I am way to critical.

tony

I see tattoos as something that is utterly sinful. I kind of look at it with an eye of something about willingly taking a mark that is ungodly. I thank God I was able to talk to a young man about my perception of tattoos, not knowing that he had concluded plans to have it on his body but stopped due to my message. I was surprised after some days when he told me he had wanted to go for tattoos but my messaged made him have a change of mind.

Bobby Cole

So many pages in response to tattoos! I am indeed surprised but it must be one of those topics that has to be talked about or else the responses wouldn't be so varied. @William and a few others have already admitted to having one and have offered a testimony concerning them.

Now, just about everyone has accepted that having tattoos are a sin of sorts. I said, "sin of sorts" because although all sin is indeed sin at it's root, there are varying degrees of sin: Tresspass, transgress, iniquity and yes.......sin. I could outline all of the aforementioned but then, that would take all of the fun out of my next question.

In your personal experience, to what degree of sin would a tattoo be?

God Bless......Bobby

Believer

I would love to get another tattoo to represent a life battle with cancer and the fact that God performed a miracle in saving me. BUT, I now believe it is a sin, to what degree, I feel a sin is a sin regardless of the degree.

Bobby Cole
I would love to get another tattoo to represent a life battle with cancer and the fact that God performed a miracle in saving me. BUT, I now believe it is a sin, to what degree, I feel a sin is a sin regardless of the degree.

We are in full agreement then, that sin is still sin. Yes, once we have full knowledge that something is sinful we are indeed held accountable for that misnomer but.......what if you did not know? The thing that got me started on this is one or more posters stated that tattoos were "sinful" so I decided to find out how harmful this sin can or could be.

I am not trying to go off topic in any way but the variations of activities and intent regarding tattoos are so many thus far that some clarification should be useful and a fun study. Perhaps, the tattoo is merely a tresspass or and unintentional sin or was it done even though in the heart of a person it was known to be Desperately Wicked and filled with iniquity!! ?

I find it useful at times to just whet the appetite of those who are adament about honest scriptural study. Taking my word for anything avails nothing for indeed, I have been found in error on a few occasions and whole heartedly admit to it. That said, it is a wonderful thing that we all have access to Greek, Koine, Hebrew, and Aramaic dictionaries and Lexicons not to mention a vast amount of well versed commentaries on the subject I have presented. It would also be wonderful if a half dozen or so of the major and minor theologians on board here might produce said studies wherein we can all converse and learn.

God Bless and Happy studying..........Bobby

Guest William

Instead of visual expressions (artist rendering) of your life experience, through such expressions that are forbid by Scripture, why not just write about them? I believe you have enough posts now, Believer, to start a blog of your own. Just letting you know that a blog is an available service to you here on the forum.

God bless,

William

Believer

Thanks, William that sounds interesting, would love to do a blog.

AngelaMc

The Bible does state in Leviticus 19:28, "You must not put tattoo markings on yourself."

Tattoos are a big trend today, it seems as though people are covering their whole bodies with them.

I personally think tattooing becomes addicting to some people and they loose site of what it clearly states in the Bible, or they just don't care.

Guest William
Tattoos are a big trend today, it seems as though people are covering their whole bodies with them.

Ever see the girl that cakes herself with makeup? I think there's some psychology going on here, hiding behind a mask whether it be cosmetics, surgery, tattoos, etc.

God bless,

William

efrainsilva1

Tattoos are not sinful in and of themselves. Yet some people commit the sin of worshipping them, or of putting abominations on their body. This can be satanic tattoos, sinful messages, etc, which is a sin. Does that make some sense now?

thatbrian

Ever see the girl that cakes herself with makeup? I think there's some psychology going on here, hiding behind a mask whether it be cosmetics, surgery, tattoos, etc.

God bless,

William

The sin underneath every sin is idolatry, but the idle may be different in cases in which the outward expression of the sin is the same. In other words, someone may cake on makeup because they are people pleasers or wish the attention of men.

Jester85

I have no problem with tattoos if they are in moderation and tasteful, like for example my roommate has a tattoo of a hummingbird on his chest because his mother who died very suddenly in a car accident loved hummingbirds. Something along those lines is tasteful and a nice gesture to me. When people cover themselves head to toe in tattoos, I find it distasteful.

Also I do not believe tattoos in and of themselves are sinful.

thatbrian

Understanding motivation is necessary to distinguish sinful actions for non-sinful actions. Two people could buy at the same exact new car, and for one it would be sinful, and the other, not.

Chameli

I believe it is not necessary to view every issues through the eyes of religion. Tattoo is just a body decoration. Nothing more than that. We cannot disregard any people just because of his/her tattoo. In many cultures tattoo is a taboo. The only reason that I can find for this view is tattoo was first used by tribal people and "civilized" people degraded those tribes.

Jester85

The notion that tattoos are for criminals or disreputable people is rather outdated. Some of the most morally upstanding people I know have tattoos, including some practicing Christians (though theirs are low-key and inconspicuous and have very specific personal backstories for them). Personally I find it unattractive and distasteful when someone is covered head to toe, but I don't think simply having tats should be considered a black mark against someone's moral character, or an issue regarding finding employment.

NorrinRadd
On 1/3/2017 at 8:14 AM, Jester85 said:

The notion that tattoos are for criminals or disreputable people is rather outdated. Some of the most morally upstanding people I know have tattoos, including some practicing Christians (though theirs are low-key and inconspicuous and have very specific personal backstories for them). Personally I find it unattractive and distasteful when someone is covered head to toe, but I don't think simply having tats should be considered a black mark against someone's moral character, or an issue regarding finding employment.

I associated tats with soldiers and especially sailors -- think of Popeye's forearm anchors -- long before I knew of them as "gang" or "tribal" things.

Antus67

Here is a interesting point of view by: S. Michael Houdmann

==============================================================================================================================

The only Bible verse that explicitly mentions tattoos is Leviticus 19:28, "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD." With this verse in mind, I want to point out flaws in both sides of the argument. Some who oppose tattoos will point to Leviticus 19:28 and say "case closed, it is a sin to get a tattoo." The problem with this line of reasoning is that there are many commands in the Old Testament Law, and in the Book of Leviticus especially, that Christians do not obey. For example, the verse immediately prior states, "Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard" (Leviticus 19:27). If we are going to use Leviticus 19:28 to outlaw tattoos, we should also outlaw everything else that the Old Testament Law forbids. Also, the mention of cutting your body for the dead perhaps identifies a pagan ritual as the true problem, not necessarily the tattoo itself. The key point is this: Jesus' death fulfilled and completed the Law, ending its requirements on us (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23-25; Ephesians 2:15). Therefore, the law against tattoos is not binding on followers of Jesus Christ.

As a result of the in-applicability of Leviticus 19:28, some will argue that since the Bible does not speak against tattoos in a New Covenant context, it is acceptable to get tattoos. The problem with this line of reasoning is that there are many things the Bible does not specifically speak against. The Bible being silent on an activity does not necessarily indicate approval of that activity.

Some who approve of Christians getting tattoos will also point to Revelation 19:16 and claim that Jesus has a tattoo, "On His robe and on His thigh He has this name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS." The text does not say that it will be a tattoo. It could be written by a magic marker for all we know, or it could be a henna (non-permanent) tattoo, or it could be metaphoric/symbolic, not literal. Whatever the case, Revelation 19:16 does not say Jesus has a tattoo. Even if it did, it would not be blanket permission for Christians to get tattoos.

So, if arguments from both sides are flawed, what is the answer regarding tattoos? For me, this issue seems to be primarily a struggle with Christian freedom. It would be so much easier if we just had an exhaustive list of do's and don'ts. Christian freedom is uncomfortable because it forces us to truly examine our motives. That is why Christians tend to go to one extreme or the other, legalism or antinomianism. Legalism is easier because it provides us with the list of do's and don'ts. Antinomianism is easier because it focuses on the "freedom" in "Christian freedom" while ignoring the "Christian."

Perhaps the most applicable verse on the question of whether getting a tattoo is a sin would be Romans 14:23, "For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin." Sometimes, if you have to ask the question of whether something is right or wrong, it is a sign that it is wrong. As Christians, we should never do anything unless we are absolutely convinced that it is right. Further, we should never do something just because someone else says it is right. If you are absolutely convinced that getting a tattoo will be pleasing to God, honoring to God, and an increase in your being a light to the world – I will not bar the entrance to the tattoo parlor, nor will I claim that you have sinned by getting a tattoo. Ultimately, it is between you and God.

I seriously doubt I will ever get a tattoo. I am just not convinced that it is right to permanently mark my body with a tattoo. Speaking of Christian freedom, 1 Corinthians 6:12 states, "Everything is permissible for me, but not everything is beneficial" (see also 1 Corinthians 10:23). Might tattoos be permissible? Maybe. But, I am not fully convinced they are beneficial. For me, then, it would be a sin to get a tattoo because there is doubt, not faith (Romans 14:23).

Matthew A.Duvall
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 8:20 AM, Marie said:

What are your thoughts on tattoos? I have noticed in recent years there is a growing trend to tattoo entire arms, legs, neck, etc. It's different than the one or two hidden tattoos of the past. Nowadays it seems to be very blatant and something to be showed off.

Is there a Christian view on this, or something the bible would teach?

I wouldn't have one of those things if my life depended on it . Seriously . I know that we aren't to pass judgment on anyone ,but when I see a young mother in the store with multiple tattoos all over her body, I have to wonder if the children will follow the trend . If a new convert joins our church with many tattoos , we treat him just as we would any other . We befriend him and know that tattoos won't keep him out of Heaven .   

I'm surprised to see that the military is allowing more of them now compared to when I served  . I remember when L.A.P.D. had to wear long sleeve shirts year around to cover tattoos left over from their military days. No offense though .    M

Guest William
3 minutes ago, Matthew A.Duvall said:

I wouldn't have one of those things if my life depended on it . Seriously . I know that we aren't to pass judgment on anyone ,but when I see a young mother in the store with multiple tattoos all over her body, I have to wonder if the children will follow the trend . If a new convert joins our church with many tattoos , we treat him just as we would any other . We befriend him and know that tattoos won't keep him out of Heaven .   

I'm surprised to see that the military is allowing more of them now compared to when I served  . I remember when L.A.P.D. had to wear long sleeve shirts year around to cover tattoos left over from their military days. No offense though .    M

Same standard as when I served. 

Those were the days when the military cared about its image. We couldn't participate in parades wearing a uniform. If you know what I mean. 

Matthew A.Duvall
Just now, William said:

Same standard as when I served. 

Those were the days when the military cared about its image. We couldn't participate in parades wearing a uniform. If you know what I mean. 

I think of the guys that went to bars, got drunk and had some tattoo artist carving a figure into their skin that they weren't aware of until they awoke the next day. If I recall those tattoos back then  were non removable as they are now . Ouch ! that was for life ! To bad they never knew it until it was too late.    M