SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Join us now

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Join us now
Just Mike

Do you read the Bible? do you have a plan that works for you?

Matto

God's Mercy is such that it looks for any excuse to flow out to the hardest of sinners, and that excuse might be even just a thought or distracted prayer on our part for them.

When we get a small exposure to Jesus love, we understand how cold, rotten, ungenerous, uncaring and poor we are. We don't have a clue what mercy and love is, we must have a new definition and conception of it, one that is far more expanded and generous.

I realised this one time and it was like my heart was too small to receive what was being poured into it, I didn't have the capacity. I asked Jesus to expand it, to create a new heart in me. I had to appropriate His Heart and hand Him mine, before I could receive what He wanted to give. We are poor because we have limited capacity for His kind of blessings.

We don't understand the power we have over God by our prayer, especially when it comes to asking for mercy on others. His mercy loves to be invoked, it soothes His vicious wounds that paid for it.

Package your supplications in prayers for Mercy on others,  invoke His Holy Wounds.

Jesus Mercy is perennial in its appeal, all it needs is for us to second it by our prayer. Prayer is powerful because it is entirely voluntary. If it is used with humility and faith it  will help many by unleashing God's power.

Jonitus
On 7/11/2018 at 11:59 AM, Just Mike said:

Over the many years I have been asked what is the best way to read the Bible? There are many Bible reading plans to help Christians to read the Bible on a orderly consistant way.

Would you be willing to share how you read the Bible and how it works for you?

I have a daily reading plan that gets me through the Bible entirely in one calendar year.  Easy.  A bit of OT, NT, Psalms/Proverbs every day.  Takes me less than 10 minutes to read the passages for the day and if I want to get out the Strong's concordance and dig in the passages a bit more, I can do that too.  It took me about two weeks to make it habitual to do my daily readings, but once it was habit, the rest was very easy.

Malta Dan

Hey Just Mike, thanks for the question. I realize it's from a few months back but I'm going to answer it anyway. I am currently reading through a chronological plan that I should be done with in a month or two and It's been really helpful. I would highly recommend trying it at least once in your life. I wouldn't recommend reading your Bible like this all the time, because you lose some of the literary flow of the individual books, but it's been great reading Biblical accounts of events grouped together. It's helped me pick up on details that I've overlooked before. I've tried the OT/NT/Psalms schedules and the Professor Grant Horton Bible reading system (basically reading one chapter from ten books per day). I've tried reading the Old Testament in the jewish order which I did like, but I think I prefer to just read it through from Genesis to Revelation the best. There's something I like about reading straight through the Old Testament as the anticipation builds until you finally reach the New Testament, Hallelujah! But that's just me.

• Like 1

Just Mike

Thanks Dan. I amazed at how many Christians seldom read their Bible. I feel like something is wrong when I miss reading the Bible a couple of times a day. I found it takes being as hungry for the Word as it is for our three meals a day. Developing a set Bible reading time is best.

Again Thanks Dan and God bless.

CDF47
On 7/23/2018 at 1:19 PM, Matto said:

I know many Protestants distrust the Rosary, but I can tell you that it brings a soul closer to Jesus than mostly anything, apart from the Eucharist which is Jesus Himself. The Rosary is praying the Scripture.

Praying repetitive prayers, like using the Rosary, was forbidden by Jesus.  See Matthew 6:7, "But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking."

Edited by CDF47

Guest Becky
On 7/23/2018 at 3:51 PM, Papa Zoom said:

The bible app I use (on my iPad) keeps track of my progress each day (read the Bible in a year).  I follow along as the narrator reads.  I also have a separate devotional (same app) each day.  It's not a Bible study as it's just a daily reading.  But it keeps me in the Bible everyday.  From there I branch out in studies and Bible study groups.  

I highly recommend the app approach if you're like me and need to be reminded each day to read (I now do this very first thing and finally the routine has taken hold!)

Made my heart smile to see "Papa Zoom'" . Hello my old friend

On 7/21/2018 at 9:48 AM, Matto said:

The Rosary is the other way we pray scripture, meditation on Jesus Life.

Praying the Rosary: Some Doctrinal Problems

(1) Hail Mary, (2) Mary Queen Mother and Mother of God, (3) Mary as "our hope" and "our life," and (4) asking Mary to "pray for us." However, we will begin with a short answer.

The short answer is simply, "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and man, the man Christ Jesus;" (I Tim 2:5). While the RCC teaches that Mary was "preserved free from all stain of original sin" (CCC 966), in reality:

(1) Mary was a sinner who had a sin nature and needed a Savior too (Luke 1:46-47; Rom 3:23).

(2) She was not and is not the Co-Redeemer or Co-Redemptrix. Co-Redemptrix, refers to the Catholic teaching that Mary is a subordinate but essential participant in redemption; in essence that Mary gave free consent to give life to the Christ the Redeemer, to share his life, to suffer with him under the Cross, and to offer his sacrifice to God the Father for the sake of the redemption of all mankind. 
This is blatantly false theology. There is one and only one Redeemer, Jesus Christ (1 Tim 2:5; cf. John 17:3; Acts 4:12; 1 Cor 8:6; Heb 7:25; 8:6; 9:15; 12:24). Praying the rosary assigns a task to Mary that the Bible never gives her (Co-Redemptrix). Jesus is our one and only and complete Redeemer (Gal 3:13; 4:4-5; Tit 2:14; 1 Pet 1:18-19; Rev 5:9), our advocate (1 John 2:1), and our only mediator (1 Tim 2:5). 

(3) Scripture never instructs us to worship mere "men" (anthropolatry, Acts 10:25-26; 14:11-15).

(1) Hail Mary

Luke 1:28 (KJV) states, "And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou [Mary] that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women." We note from the text that this is the angel Gabriel greeting Mary, not a man. The word "hail" (GK, "chaire") was a common greeting in New Testament times (compare "shalom" meaning "peace" in the Hebrew). The phrase "highly favoured" (GK, "kecharitomene") means "favored with grace," a reality for all Christians (Eph 2:5, 8; cf. Rom 3:24).

Mary was sinner too and needed grace. Much as Noah did (Gen 6:8), Mary found grace in God's sight. By God's grace alone Noah gave birth to a re-created world (Gen 8:1-3) and Mary gave birth to the one that makes "new creatures" (2 Cor 5:17). Both Noah and Mary found grace in God's sight. However, the emphasis in both cases was not upon their own merit, but on God's sovereign choice. God's grace was needed in both instances (cf. Judg 6:12). As Mary herself said to Gabriel, "Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto meaccording to thy word. And the angel departed from her" (Luke 1:38, KJV).

Though Mary was thoughtful, faithful, and pondered the things of God (Luke 1:38, 45; 2:19), she was not the dispenser of grace, but as all of us, an unworthy recipient of it (Eccl 7:20; Rom 3:23; 6:23; 1 John 1:8-10). There is one and only one Savior mentioned in the text, Christ Jesus the Lord (Luke 2:11; cf. Matt 1:16, 21; Acts 2:36).

We should not worship Mary. "Hail Mary" is not a part of Christian worship in the way the RCC teaches.

(2) Queen Mother, Mother of God

The terms "Queen" and "Mother" are meant to elevate Mary's position. However, there is absolutely no Scripture supporting the Assumption of Mary or her Coronation. We should not worship mere men (anthropolatry, Acts 10:25-26; 14:11-15). Please read the notes above.

In addition, Mary is not the Mother of God, she is the mother of baby Jesus. God doesn't have a "mother," nor does he need a "queen." Note that while "Queen of Heaven" is found in the Bible, it is used in a negative way (Jer 7:17-19; 44:16-27).

The WSC in answering the question, "What is God?" states, "God is a Spirit, infinite, eternal, and unchangeable, in his being, wisdom, power, holiness, justice, goodness, and truth" (WSC Q4). Mary could not give birth to him who is eternal, uncreated, unborn, infinite, self-sufficient, and self-sustaining. The theological term "aseity" means that God is entirely self-sufficient - not dependent or contingent upon anything else - which includes Mary! Isaiah says it plainly, "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace" (Isa 9:6). Jesus "the child" was "born, but "the Son of God" had to be "given," as God can't be born.

A proper understanding of the Trinity and the two natures of Christ is imperative. See The Belgic Confession, Article 19. In Jesus Christ, his divine nature and his human nature are united in the one Person, Jesus Christ. Jesus' divine nature is eternal and has no beginning. However, Jesus' human nature has a beginning (Gal 4:4); he was born of Mary (Matt 1:18, 20, 23; Luke 1:34-35). In Jesus Christ, these natures are united, so that God is Jesus' Father and Mary is Jesus' mother. So, Mary is not the mother of God, but of baby Jesus. Mary was the biological mother of Jesus' humanity, but she was not the mother of Jesus' divinity.

So, God needs no mother as he had no beginning and thus was never born, immortal, etc. (Psa 90:2; 1 Tim 6:15-16). He is self-sustaining and therefore at no time needed a mother. But, according to Catholic theology, there must have been a time when God merely two or three seconds, hours, days, weeks, months, and years old. This is heresy, as how could God be born to Mary and yet create the world in which Mary lived (Elohimis the plural of El, Gen 1:1, "us" in Gen 1:26; John 1:3, 10; Rom 11:36; 1 Cor 8:6; Col 1:16; Heb 1:2).

While Mary is "the mother of my Lord" (Greek, kurios, Luke 1:43), this is different than being the mother of God (Greek, theos) - which words Elizabeth by the Holy Spirit did not use. Mother of my Lord (kurios) in context refers to Jesus in the flesh (John 1:14; 2 John 7).

Mary should not be elevated and worshiped. Mary should not be made into an idol (1 Cor 10:14; 1 John 5:21).

(3) Our Hope, Our Life

Nowhere in the Bible does it state that Mary is "our hope" or "our life." The Scripture plainly teaches that Jesus and he alone is "our hope" (Rom 5:1-5; 15:4; Col 1:23; 2 Thess 2:16; 1 Tim 1:1; Tit 2:13; 1 Pet 1:3, etc.) and "our life" (John 1:4; 3:15-18; 5:24; 10:28; 11:25; 14:6; 1 John 5:11, etc.). Clearly, Mary believed the same way saying, ". . . My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour." (Luke 1:46-47). Mary's only "hope" and "life" was found in Christ too!

The teaching that Mary is "our hope" and "our life" is not scripturally correct.

(4) Pray for Us

Once again, nowhere in Scripture do we see that Mary, a sinner in need of redemption herself, is to pray for us. Jesus (Heb 7:25) is our intercessor and the Holy Spirit aids us in our prayers (Rom 8:26). A Christian can "approach the throne of grace with confidence" (Heb 4:16) without the aid of Mary.

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus" (1 Tim 2:5). There is ONE Mediator. Since, there is only one, than it stands to reason that Mary (or others) cannot be our mediator. While Paul and others asked others to pray for them (2 Cor 1:11; Eph 1:16; Phil 1:19; 2 Tim 1:3, etc.), nowhere in Scripture (except in the person of Christ) do we see someone asking for someone in Heaven to pray for them. The rich man in Hell asked for relief and for his bothers to be warned, but neither request was granted, (Luke 16:14-31). While there are prayers going on Heaven (Rev 5:8; 6:10), nowhere do we read that they are tuning into all of ours. In addition, we do not find in Scripture that Mary is omnipresent and omniscient, which she would have to be to hear all the prayers to her.

When Jesus taught his disciples to pray in the Lord's Prayer (Matt 6:9-13), he taught them to address their prayers to God. However, when one prays the rosary they spend more time calling out to Mary than to God himself (3 Hail Marys, 10 Hail Marys, Hail, Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy, etc.).

John answers the question thoroughly when he wrote, "And this is the confidence that wehave in him, that, if weask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if weknow that he hear us, whatsoever weask, weknow that wehave the petitions that wedesired of him" (1 John 5:14-15). John does not mention Mary, but "we" and "us." Once again, we observe that RCC doctrine is in error.

There are numerous other problems with this prayer. However, suffice to say that with just this brief introduction to its problems a Christian should not engage in this idolatry (or any other).

http://reformedanswers.org/answer.asp/file/45582

Sderinger88

I use Tabletalk Magazine’s yearly Bible Reading Plan.

Mary1577979507

Hello, am currently reading the  scriptures chronologically to revelation and when am done, to start all over again. 🙂 There’s often verses that I read again and think, I didn’t see that before! The beauty of God’s word.